9 Tips to addressing autoimmune disease– by Mark Hyman, Functional Medicine
- Read The Autoimmune Epidemic. This book will tell you why we have this problem, and how to fix it.
- Find a functional medicine doctor who can help you address autoimmunity.
- Get tested for mercury and other heavy metals.
- Get tested for celiac disease (an autoimmune reaction to wheat and other gluten-containing grains), which causes over 60 autoimmune diseases. And consider eliminating other inflammatory foods from your diet such as dairy, eggs, corn and animal fats for a few weeks to see if it makes a different your symptoms.
- Take immune-balancing nutrients and supplements, including vitamin D, essential fats (like EPA/DHA and GLA), and probiotics.
- Practice deep relaxation daily through yoga, meditation, biofeedback, or anything that reverses the stress response.
- Practice the precautionary principle, which says that we should avoid anything with the potential for harm. In the US, something has to be proven harmful before it is taken off the market. In Europe, something has to be proven safe before it is allowed on the market. This is also known as “better safe than sorry.”
- Learn how to boost your body’s own detoxification system.
- By addressing the root causes of autoimmune disease, you can start feeling better and getting well today.