- 1 lb-2 lbs bones from pastured animals (chicken feet/necks or beef bones knuckles are best)
- 4 cloves organic garlic
- 1-2 gallons filtered water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- other of choice vegetables (optional, can make it bitter )
- other herbs (optional)
- Put all ingredients in slow cooker overnight or longer and set to low (8-24 hours).
- In the morning, strain broth and refrigerate in separate glass containers.
- Once it is chilled remove the fat and save it other uses.
- Drink the broth or use it for a base for soup.
Bone broths provide important minerals and vitamins that we need to cope with stress in our daily lives. It is an inexpensive way to get minerals and vitamins without taking supplements, which sometimes are not absorbed by the body when isolated from foods in supplements. Broth also fights wrinkles, cellulite and is good for loose skin after weight loss. Another benefit of broth is that it heals the digestive tract (gut lining) because it is full of amino acids. It also stretches the small portions of protein by making someone feel full on less so it is a great way to save money!
It’s like botox in a bowl!
You can put veggies or herbs but sometimes they turn bitter when cooked for a long time. I would use the broth made here to make other soups later where you add more veggies, grass fed meats and herbs. This slow cooking recipe is aimed at getting the most minerals out of the bones to heal your body.
Too busy to make it?
You can also use grass fed gelatin to mix it into your drinks or smoothies if you do not have time to make broth. It is like broth for cheaters!