*This recipe was from Paleo Mom
- 1 small head garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) pork shoulder
- Combine the crushed garlic, salt, oregano, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Pat the pork shoulder dry with paper towels. Lay out several pieces of plastic wrap, overlapping (big enough to wrap the whole pork shoulder after the seasoning is rubbed on), and place the pork shoulder on top.
- Rub the seasoning over the entire surface of the pork shoulder. Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap. Place in a dish or on a tray and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the pork shoulder from the refrigerator and let warm to room temperature for 1 hour before placing in the oven. Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the pork on a roasting pan. Roast for 6 hours, until the meat is fork-tender.
This recipe can be easily scaled up for larger shoulder roasts. For a 6- to 8-pound roast, double the rub ingredients and cook for 8 to 9 hours.
Barbecue Pulled Pork. When the pork shoulder comes out of the oven, “pull” it using two forks, one to steady the meat and one to pull the meat apart into thin strips. Toss the shredded pork with Barbecue Sauce.