Ingredients: can just stick to one nut
- ¼ cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- ¼ cup Raw Walnuts
- ¼ cup Sliced Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Raw Pepitas (Shelled Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ Tbsp Honey, to taste (optional) or any sweetnener like maple syrup
- Process coconut, walnuts, almonds, pepitas and flaxseed together in a blender or food processor until finely ground and blade starts to seize.
- Boil water in a kettle or in the microwave. Pour into a microwave-safe container (I like to use a Pyrex measuring cup) and mix in honey if using.
- Stir ground nuts into hot water.
- Heat in microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir once more. Alternatively, heat over medium-low heat in a small saucepot stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes until it almost simmers. Let sit for 3-5 minutes to thicken. Enjoy!
Variations: Just like traditional porridge, you can stir in some extra ingredients at the end to change the flavor. Here are some ideas, but feel free to experiment!
- Spiced Porridge: Stir in ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg and ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon before eating.
- Apple-Cinnamon Porridge: Stir in 2 Tbsp Freeze Dried Apple pieces (or apple sauce) and ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon.
- Maple-Nut Porridge: Use 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup instead of honey and sprinkle 2 Tbsp chopped Pecans over the top.
- Banana-Nut Porridge: Omit honey and mash in half of a ripe banana instead. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp chopped Pecans over the top.
- Blueberry Porridge: Stir in 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (or any other berry you like).
- Peaches and Cream Porridge: Stir in 1/3 cup chopped fresh or preserved Peaches and 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream or unsalted butter.
- Pumpkin Pie Porridge: Stir in ¼ cup Pumpkin Puree (fresh or canned) and 1/8 tsp (a good pinch) each of Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Allspice, and Ground Cloves.
- Butter and Salt Porridge: Stir in ½ tsp Salt (to taste) and let 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melt over the top.
Chocolate Porridge: Stir in 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder or Cacao.